| From Fromage and Würstchen etc |
This particular specimen was bleu d'Auvergne, jambon, raisins, nuts, and something else tasty. It was just what I needed after walking from one side of the Seine to the other and looping around to see the two main islands (which are amazing!). Unfortunately I almost lost my teeth on the bread.. Good French bread is apparently supposed to give you a major jaw workout when not eaten in small chunks. I also got a lovely little chocolate torte, but failed to restrain myself for a photo.. Just use your imagination. (Incidentally, the place I got the sandwich was called Legay and I'm fairly sure it was smack-dab in the middle of the Paris gay quarter. I was amused.)
I also had a lovely tour de fromage chez Hélène and chez Marie. The French, of course, keep cheese at arm's reach for every meal, and, with the exception of my sick day, I tried to get in as much cheese-time as I could. I had the most amazing goat's milk cheese, and when I got back to Germany, I tried to find it immediately. This is the specimen in question:
| From Fromage and Würstchen etc |
It is so nice and creamy! The outer layer is smooth like brie, but the inner section is a little drier and crumbly like fresh goat cheese (which is what it is, just the outside has ripened a bit). The goat taste is mellow and complex and hides the moldy taste of brie that I am a little wary of. I didn't have a baguette, but it went pretty well with some leftover fladenbrot. This one is definitely becoming a staple in my box of cheeses!
(Incidentally, I didn't have the heart to tell Marie and Bernard that German baguettes are only slightly less-wonderful than French ones. And the croissants are about the same :P. I think they might have turned me out early if I had dropped that one... Now the challenge is to find ANYWHERE in the US that has good baguettes. Maybe it won't be such a challenge in Boston, but I'm betting there won't be a bakery on the corner.)
1 comment:
Aghhhh, I'd go to France to cheese-traipse :D . But yes, it's probably a good idea not to tell the French anything about... how they are not the most perfect beings on the planet... how they do not necessarily have the best or most exquisite food by far on the planet... how their language is not necessarily better than your language... und so weiter ;] ...
Post a Comment