4.1.09

French vs German Food

A brief reflection on my time in France and my subsequent return here:

With respect to food--my personal favorite topic ever--I'd say the French definitely have something on the Germans. Whereas German food is heavy on pork, potatoes, and brassicates and tends to be a little bland, French food is light--lots of salad (every main meal really), a preference for poultry and sea food, still bland with regard to veggies. According to the french, there is a preference for the front half of the cow in France, and the rear in Germany (I think, might be the other way around). Overall, I think the point is that France is a little more delicate and prefers the nicer cuts, whereas Germany is basically used to importing the lesser bits that people in France don't want. Which basically goes with the general theme of Germany-France relations.

On bread: French bread, much like Italian, is much lighter and fluffier than German bread. It's funny, because the baguettes here in Germany are distinctly German: dense, without the air pockets. German bread is dense. It's like biting into a brick of grain really. I think this might explain why Germans eat bread for two meals a day (the French seem appalled at the idea). Also, the germans seem to have a lot more variety in their bread choices. Both loaves and Brötchen (rolls) are amazingly diverse in terms of different Getreide (grains) and creative additions (sunflower, poppy, pumpkin etc seeds).

No comments: